Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A Game of Chess

I recently had the opportunity to hang out at my aunt and uncle's beautiful new home in Los Gatos, California.  The home, as always, was filled with joy and excitement.  Although there is an age gap of about 15 years between my three little cousins and I, I am always amazed at how much perspective I gain by being around them.  Just the other night, for example, I asked my 7 year-old cousin Joe if he would teach me the basics of chess.  He has been taking classes and I have never played chess, so I thought I'd utilize the opportunity to learn from him.  As I listened to Joe explain the game to me, I was impressed by his maturity and knowledge of the game.  As the exhibition match carried on, I realized that the game's complexity was overtaken by the simplicity and beauty of spending time with my cousin.  It was an awesome experience to be able to gain knowledge while continuing to build my relationship with him at the same time. 

Although life may be like a game of chess, the simplest things in life, such as spending time with family, should never be taken for granted.  Thanks for helping me understand that Joe, I'll be looking to get even next time we play.

2 comments: