Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Great Debate

No, not Kobe or Lebron, not Red Sox or Yankees, not Democrat or Republican, but So Cal or Nor Cal.  The Southern California - Northern California rivalry has existed for quite some time, and luckily for me, I have been able to experience both sides of the coin.  The similarities exist, however they are almost considered differences because of the originality involved.  From what I have been able to grasp, they both possess unique and beautiful qualities about them that makes choosing one over the other a difficult task.

Let's start with home.  Southern California has been my home for 21 years, however 2 of them have been spent in Northern California.  It's hard not to like Southern California.  It boasts some of the best weather and location in the entire world.  After getting home the other day from school in Northern California, I was just in awe at how beautiful the area is.  I guess after 21 years I have finally come to appreciate all that exists in my backyard.  I mean people around the world consider Southern California a vacation destination, and for me, it's just home.

Aside from the weather and gorgeous homes, I think the variety of scenery in Southern California is under-appreciated.  The beach, the nature-filled canyons, the lakes, the isolated hilltops, and the mountains are all within reach.  Not to mention, as far as living, Southern California offers it all.  It offers homes practically anywhere just mentioned.  There sure is a lot of variety, and all of it at the top of its class. However, when it comes to people, Southern California receives some knocks.  I'm trying not to generalize, but from my experiences in Southern and Northern California the people in Northern California are far more approachable, courteous, and down to earth.

I have been in Northern California for 2 years, both during college.  At first, I hated the place.  It took some getting used to with everyone saying hella, dressing differently, and having a different attitude towards life.  Northern California people, from my experience, are genuine, very loyal, and passionate towards everything in their life, especially their sports' teams.  They may not boast the expensive houses like Newport Beach, but they don't give a damn about the car you drive compared to who you are as a person.  And don't get me wrong, Northern California has some beautiful areas to live like Saratoga, Los Gatos, Redwood City, San Mateo, Palo Alto and many others that might not get the attention like some of the Southern California homes.

I guess after writing this, they possess a lot of the same characteristics with their own wrinkle to them.  It's hard for me to describe, and I'm stuck.  I don't know who wins the debate, it is something you are going to have to experience for yourself.  I obviously have a bias towards Southern California since it is my home, but I also owe a lot of my growth and appreciation for life to Northern California.  I have gained so much perspective from Northern California and its such a refreshing place, but home is home and it's hard to compete against a place like Southern California.  Sorry to disappoint, but I'm not picking a winner, I cherish both, and attribute who I am to both places.  Both of them are a great place to live, making it a tough decision on where I want to live in the future.  However, something tells me I'll want to stay down here at home.  Until then though, I'm not ruling out any ideas of heading North again and settling up there.

1 comment:

  1. The overall deciding factor on why So-Cal and Nor-Cal people are so different has gotta be money. Money is what many people live for because it can change your perception to others. However, it can also change your morals and values. Both So-Cal and Nor-Cal have their flaws, but in my opinion, So-Cal people only care about themselves

    ReplyDelete