Thursday, September 15, 2011

MV7

Michael Vick returns to the Georgia Dome this Sunday to face his old team, the Atlanta Falcons.  Vick returns this time in a new uniform with new expectations.  It should make for some entertaining football as it airs Sunday night on NBC as the prime-time game of the week.

The below article I wrote for my opinion writing class.  It addresses Vick's new contract with the Eagles and his continued path to redemption...

Talk about paying your dues.  $100 million for 6 years, $40 million of it guaranteed. 

That's the recent contract the ever-so polarizing quarterback Michael Vick signed with the Philadelphia Eagles.  With those millions of dollars, came millions of questions, specifically from those who hold the opinion that forgiving Michael Vick is premature. 

There are public opinions out there that that feel Vick's involvement in illegal dogfighting activitiies doesn't warrant him praise on the football field or as a role model.  On the contrary, there are those who believe that Michael Vick served his 21-month sentence and deserves a second chance.

I happen to support the latter.

Quite frankly, I am of the opinion that Michael Vick has been the brunt of criticism far too long.  I understand what he did was cruel, unethical, and unthinkable but it's unreasonable to condemn him for the rest of his life. Despite the magnitude of the crime, I feel he served a fair sentence and has become a better person throughout this entire process. 

Those who wish to see Vick fail are stubborn hypocrites, in my opinion.  Americans pride themselves on comeback stories and second chances.  Why is it any different for Michael Vick?  Are you so perfect and self-righteous that you have never made regrettable and poor decisions?

Michael Vick is one of my favorite athletes of all time, and when I look at Michael Vick, I look at who he is now.  I don't judge him on his past, I judge him on the present.  I believe Michael Vick has changed and nobody needs to tell him what he did was wrong; he knows.

According to him as reported by ESPN, "dogfighting is a terrible thing and I reject it. I take full responsibility for my actions.  Not for one second will I sit right here and point the finger and try to blame anybody else for my actions or what I've done.  I offer my deepest apologies to everybody out in there in the world who was affected by this whole situation. And if I'm more disappointed with myself than anything it's because of all the young people, young kids that I've let down, who look at Michael Vick as a role model. And to have to go through this and put myself in this situation, you know, I hope that every young kid out there in the world watching this interview right now who's been following the case will use me as an example to using better judgment and making better decisions."
And if actions speak louder than words, then I am of the opinion that what Michael Vick has done on the football field is his way of reconciling his sins and proving to not only the public, but to himself, that he is sincerely sorry for his criminal activity.  Vick's football talent and mere athleticism has always been evident, but in my opinion, there are few athletes, let alone people, that can rebound from such a low point in their life like Vick has.

Bruce Arthur (no relation) applauds just how special of an athlete Vick is by stating, "however you feel about the crimes of Michael Vick, what he has accomplished is remarkable. He spent 21 months in prison, lost just about everything he had, was released back into the world in the middle of the night, and has now indisputably returned to the pinnacle of professional football, or near enough."

You might argue that Vick was already a star player and his athletic abilities have never been in question, only his character.  Very true, but something tells me this dogfighting incident was the best thing that could have ever happened to Vick.  Call it a wake-up call, a reality check, call it what you wish, I feel that those years in Leavenworth really shaped who he is today not only as an elite NFL athlete, but as a humbled and grateful man.

"Once again, I offer my deepest apologies to everyone. And I will redeem myself. I have to." 

I believe in you Mike.

No comments:

Post a Comment