Thursday, November 17, 2011

9% Tuition Increase for CSU Schools

If only my grades increased with the tuition rates.

Yesterday, the California State University trustees announced that the California State University's tuition will be raised by 9 percent.  As for my grades?  I think they'll be fine, but that doesn't mean myself and students alike aren't foaming at the mouth.

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, "the trustees raised tuition for the second time this year, voting 9-6 for the increase."  Additionally, "this year, lawmakers reduced the university's budget by $650 million, leaving CSU with just above $2 billion for 2011-12. If state revenues fall short as expected, an additional cut of up to $100 million would be triggered."

So this is just the tip of the iceberg?

Good thing I'm on pace to graduate in two years.  That is, if I can afford it.

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, "we have an institution to run here, and we have an obligation to run it well," said Trustee Roberta Achtenberg, who voted for the increase.

I don't see how a continued tuition increase equates to running an institution well - at least not fairly.  I know for me I was limited to CSUF because UC schools and private universities weren't affordable.  Now, the "cheapest "4-year colleges available want more money from students who are already struggling to afford the bare minimum.

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, "the price of a year at CSU has risen steadily for years. Next fall, basic tuition will be $5,970.  That's more than triple what it cost in 2002-03."

That's nearly $500 a unit and nearly $1,500 for a standard 3-unit class.  By the way, that doesn't include the cost of books, housing, transportation and other necessities.

According to Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom, "in today’s economy, the timing of the proposed 9 percent tuition increase could not come at a more difficult time,” said Newsom, who called cuts to higher education a "catastrophic trend."

“Families are struggling to make ends meet and many who had hoped to afford higher education are rethinking whether college is a realistic option,” Newsom said.

I always thought that education was paramount.  I envisioned education as my gateway to success, giving me an opportunity to achieve my wildest dreams.

Now, receiving a college education has become a nightmare.  A nightmare that doesn't have me worried about my grades, but whether or not I'll be enrolled to receive any.

No comments:

Post a Comment