Wednesday, March 21, 2012

NFL Bounty Suspension

Suspending Sean Payton, head coach of the New Orleans Saints for an entire year is ridiculous.  The NFL has long been a gladiator sport, a sport that thrives on big hits, physical contact, and toughness.  To say that players on teams had incentive to make some additional money for big hits, fumbles, interceptions, and sacks isn't a problem to me.  It only becomes a problem when their is intent to injure.  That's when I cross the line, but my goodness I don't think that was the case.  At least not enough to suspend the head coach for an entire year, especially when he is more involved with the offense rather than the defense.

I feel like many other teams had some sort of bounty or incentive system in the locker room.  It doesn't seem uncommon for any professional team to have competition amongst one another for a little extra cash.  But again, when money is being made for injuring players that becomes a problem.  Other than that however, I feel players can do whatever they want with their money.  What's the harm in earning an extra $100 per interception?  It's the same concept parents use when they give their child an ice cream if they get an A on their test.  Sure, added incentives shouldn't maximize the performance of people, but it sure as hell doesn't minimize it.  And as a sports fan I'm okay with that.  If it means that players are going to play harder, faster, stronger, and with more passion then I have no problem with it.

What I do have a problem with is NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell's suspension of Sean Payton.  Talk about making an example.  A one year suspension without pay ($7.5 million) is a little extreme if you ask me.  I'm sure Goodell wasn't complaining when the Saints made their Super Bowl run, playing in an exciting fashion that fans definitely enjoyed.  The Saints will have a difficult time getting back to the Super Bowl next season when their head coach won't be anywhere near the organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment