Monday, June 11, 2012

Tell 'Em How You Really Feel

The Los Angeles Kings are the 2012 Stanley Cup champions. This is the Kings first ever championship and my-oh-my did they earn it. The Kings' road to the Cup began after firing their head coach midway through the season and then barely making it into the playoffs as the #8 seed. Once they got into "the dance" they went 16-4 and began every series on the road as the proverbial underdog taking out the #1 Vancouver Canucks, the #2 St. Louis Blues, the #3 Phoenix Coyotes and lastly, the Eastern Conference New Jersey Devils to cap off their historic playoff run. Only such a run could elicit such an emotional response from the Kings captain Dustin Brown.

Before continuing, go ahead and watch the short video clip of Dustin Brown's postgame interview with NBC's Pierre McGuire.




After watching the video you notice the blatant F bomb by the Kings captain. When I first heard it I thought he said it, but wasn't really sure. But sure enough, after watching it over and over, it is quite clear that Dustin Brown did indeed use some profane language.

This leads me to the main purpose of this post.



To many people, this would be seen as inappropriate and unprofessional. But taking into account the circumstances of the situation, I don't really have a problem with it. He just won the Stanley Cup and answered the damn question. I hate it when athletes give vanilla answers that don't give the viewer a real sense of how they are feeling or what's on their mind. I like authenticity, and Dustin Brown gave me that.

I'm not promoting using profanity on national television or anywhere for that matter, but it's surely refreshing to see an interview in which an athlete shows some passion and emotion. Too often in sports do athletes give bullshit answers to quite honestly, bullshit questions. I'm not saying McGuire (interviewer) is at fault here but we have all seen postgame interviews where people ask dry questions and in return get dry answers. It's the same monotonous routine every time and I'm tired of it.

The epitome of BORING.
I'm tired of them just trying to make the right play or do whatever they can to help the team win or how much respect they have for their opponent. I want the details. I want the locker room stuff. I don't want something G rated. If they're going to have shows on TV about sex, drugs, and everything in between then they sure as hell should be able to give the audience more authentic and passionate interviews rather than this ho-hum, head-nod, please and thank you, colorless bullshit.




Anyways, excuse my language and congratulations to the entire Kings organization for winning the Stanley Cup. A special congratulations to captain Dustin Brown for not only winning the Cup but for just being himself. He will more than likely be fined by the NHL, but what's ten grand after you've just hoisted Lord Stanley's Cup?


I'm taking off, you take it easy.

Bisq

No comments:

Post a Comment