Monday, May 7, 2012

Welcome To The Bigs Kid

Last night on ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball the Philadelphia Phillies visited the Washington Nationals.  Being that this was the "game of the week" there was a lot of hype surrounding 19 year-old phenom Bryce Harper.  Harper, according to scouts and analysts has everything it takes to be a premier player in the league for a long time drawing comparisons to Ken Griffey Jr. and Chipper Jones in their prime.


Having said all that, Cole Hamels could care less.  The Phillies starting pitcher plunked Harper in his first at-bat of the game with a 94 MPH fastball.  After the game Hamels admitted to hitting Harper on purpose saying, "I was trying to hit him, I'm not going to deny it."  Hamels went on explaining in more depth as to why he decided to hit the 19 year-old rookie.



"That's something I grew up watching, that's kind of what happened. So I'm just trying to continue the old baseball because I think some people are kind of getting away from it.  I remember when I was a rookie the strike zone was really, really small and you didn't say anything because that's the way baseball is.  I think unfortunately the league's protecting certain players and making it not that old-school, prestigious way of baseball."

Cole Hamels
And to tell you the truth, I like what Hamels did, especially since it happened to Harper.  Having watched a little bit of Harper's stint in the big leagues he seems like an arrogant kid with a lot to learn.  I think Hamels sensed that as well and decided to let the kid know he's not in high school anymore.  As it was, Harper got on base and ended up scoring.  In turn, Hamels was thrown at when he came to the plate for his first at-bat.  Hamels wasn't injured and ended up getting the win against a talented Nationals ballclub.
Bryce Harper

Today, Nationals general manger Mike Rizzo wasn't pleased with Hamels' plunking of his young star claiming that Hamels should be suspended.  Rizzo called Hamels "fake-tough" saying, "I've never seen a more classless, gutless chicken act in my 30 years in baseball."

It's not surprising that Rizzo was so infuriated with his young star getting thrown at.  The Nationals are an emerging organization with a bright future largely due to 19 year-old Harper.  Rizzo is simply doing what any other general manager or manager would do in protecting his star player. However, as a fan, I love this sort of stuff.  I think it ignites a stronger rivalry between these two National League East teams and heightens the entertainment value for the casual baseball fan.

Unfortunately for Hamels, he was suspended today for 5 games which basically means he misses out on his next start in the rotation.  As for Harper, welcome to the big leagues kid.

I'm taking off, you take it easy.

Bisq

No comments:

Post a Comment